Thursday, June 08, 2023

Sudbury Inmates on Suicide Watch Offered Only the Bible

Back in April, I spoke with Jenny Lamothe, a reporter for Sudbury.com, about a terrible policy at the Sudbury Jail: inmates on suicide watch can read nothing except the Christian Bible.

“There is no evidence that I have ever encountered that indicates that religious texts are effective in helping those who have suicidal ideation,” I told her. “As someone who is greatly in favour of evidence-based treatment, I would hope that our penal system would use those materials that have proven efficacy for those in dire need. So the policy of restricting access to religious materials makes no sense to me, because there is no evidence that it will achieve its stated goal.”

Ms. Lamothe also noted that Canada subsidizes "religious charities to the tune of $5 billion a year."

Read the full article on Sudbury.com. 

1 comment:

  1. Karolina SygulaJune 09, 2023 12:34 am

    I hope it's the King James Version, which has great literary merit, at least!

    ReplyDelete